Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a meta-markup language that provides a format for describing structured data. XML enables a new generation of Web-based data viewing and manipulation applications. XML is the universal language for data on the Web. XML gives developers the power to deliver structured data from a wide variety of applications to the desktop for local computation and presentation.
The System.Xml namespace provides standards-based support for processing XML.
This namespace has a comprehensive set of XML classes for parsing, validation, and manipulation of XML data using readers, writers, and World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) DOM-compliant components. It also covers XML Path Language (XPath) queries and Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT). The following list contains the main classes in the XML namespace:
- The XmlTextReader class provides fast, non-cached, forward only read access to XML data.
- The XmlNodeReader class provides an XmlReader over the given DOM node subtree.
- The XmlValidatingReader class provides DTD, XDR and XSD Schema validation.
- The XmlTextWriter class provides a fast, forward only way of generating XML.
- The XmlDocument class implements the W3C Document Object Model level 1 Core and the Core DOM Level 2 , Represents an XML document.
- The XmlDataDocument class provides an implementation of an XmlDocument that can be associated with a DataSet. Structured XML can be viewed and manipulated simultaneously through the DataSet’s relational representation or the XmlDataDocument’s tree representation.
- The XPathDocument class provides a fast and performant cache for XML document processing for XSLT.
- The XPathNavigator class provides a W3C XPath 1.0 data model over a store with a cursor style model for navigation.
- The XslTransform class is a W3C XSLT 1.0 specification compliant XSLT processor for transforming XML documents.
- The XmlSchema Object Model classes provide a navigable set of classes which directly reflect the W3C XSD specification. They provide the ability to programmatically create an XSD schema.
- The XmlSchemaCollection class provides a library of XDR and XSD schemas. These schemas, cached in memory provide fast, parse-time validation for the XmlValidatingReader.